Xelumes Asian Movie Recommendations (2.1)

Xelume
If only I was half as cute as my avatar

Re: Xelume's Asian Film Recommendations (2.0)

Post by Xelume » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 pm

#68 Best Seller Image
- Mystery, Thriller, Horror (2010, South Korea ) -

"Best Seller" is a thriller centered around writer Hee-Soo (Uhm Jung-Hwa) who moves to a small house in a rural area after becoming involved in a plagiarism scandal. Hee-Soo then hears a mysterious figure tell horrifying stories and she writes a new novel based on those stories. Her novel becomes another best seller, but Hee-Soo's success is short lived. The stories in the novel are discovered to have been published 10 years ago. To prove her innocence, she goes back to the house to uncover the mystery that lies there.

Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm

#69 Shiri Image
- Action, Romance (1999, South Korea ) -

Locked in a fragile détente with its famine-wracked, communist neighbor to the North, South Korea lives in a state of constant national emergency. It is policed by a task force of special agents whose personal lives have withered and died as they root out infiltrators and sleeper agents, rush from crisis to calamity, pursue rumors of war and chase terrorists who vanish like ghosts. One particular phantom, a female North Korean sniper named Hee, has led agents Ryu (Han Suk-Kyu) and Lee (Song Kang-Ho) through a nightmare of burnt corpses and bloody crime scenes for ten years before suddenly vanishing. One year later she resurfaces, and with her comes a squad of North Korean commandos who have infiltrated Seoul and master-minded the theft of an experimental explosive.

A whirlwind of fear and paranoia engulfs the city as civilian targets are bombed and Agents Lee and Ryu chase an enemy who is always one charred and blackened step ahead of them. As Agent Lee is pulled in two directions by his fragile fiancée, Hyun, and the dead-eyed terrorist, Hee, the personal becomes the political and in the blink of an eye affairs of the political and in the blink of an eye affairs of the heart become affairs of state.

Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:36 pm

#70 South Korea's 1 Percent aka Miss Staff Sergeant Image
- Drama, Action (2010, South Korea ) -

Only 1% of the marines becomes part of the special forces. Staff Sergeant Lee Yu-mi becomes the first ever non-commissioned officer to become part of the 3 teams vying to become part of the special forces. She joins the the bottom ranked team as they attempt to become part of the special 1% marines ...

Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:36 pm

#71 Dumbeast aka Dumb Animal Image
- Comedy, Drama (2009, Japan ) -

An editor pays a visit to the hometown of her missing award-nominated writer. In that small SUMO village, she ends up meeting the writer's weird friends, revealed to his bizarre life and what actually really strangely happened to him...

Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Image#73 Golden Slumber Image
– Thriller (2010, Japan) -

"Golden Slumbers" depicts people's ties through the escape of a young man who is falsely accused of assassinating the Prime Minister. The first prime minister from opposition party, Prime Minister Kaneda, is inolved in a car parade through the Sendai area of Japan. Meanwhile, delivery man Masaharu Aoyagi has a reunion with former college classmate Shingo Morita. Then a sudden explosion occurs killing the Prime Minister Kaneda. The police runs toward Masaharu Aoyagi with their guns pointed at him. Shingo even tells Masaharu that he has become Lee Harvey Oswald. Masaharu flees the scene...

Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Re: Xelumes Asian Movie Recommendations (2.1)

Post by Xelume » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Incoming new version of my list! 2.1

Changes:

• A total revamp as I've changed the way I grade movies.
    The list will now include the movies I consider very good
    At the moment that includes 124 movies.

Note that any movies made by Kurosawa wont be included in this
    primary list as there have been too many years since I saw
    them. I will included them whenever I take the time to watch those
    again.

The same goes for Hero, House of Flying Daggers,
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Fearless.
  • I'll mark which movies I have as my personal favourites with a star,
    there is currently 44 favourites ;)

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:38 am

The whole list is now updated with very good movies ;) and still many to come, 49 more which of 20 are favourites!

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Image#74 The Glorious Team Batista Image
– Comedy, Drama, Crime, Mystery (2008, Japan) -

A top notch seven-member team of doctors and nurses known as “Team Batista” are Tojo University Hospital’s pride and joy. The medical team performs a prominent heart surgery known as the Batista Operation which has a normal 60% success rate, but the team has consecutively pulled off twenty six successful surgeries. However, the streak is broken after a string of three procedures end in their patients deaths. Consequently, an internal investigation is launched with hospital therapist Kohei Taguchi in charge of uncovering the truth behind the incidents. When Taguchi is unable to find any definitive information, the deaths are labeled as unexplainable accidents. The evaluation is subsequently dismissed by Keisuke Shiratori, an investigator with the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, who re-launches the investigation on the basis that the deaths were actually murders.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

#75 Yoshino's Barber Shop Image
- Comedy, Drama, Kids (2009, Japan) -

In a small town on the countryside, where everyone knows everyone, all the children pay their respect to the middle-aged woman who runs "Barber Yoshino". An old tradition is rooted in this town. Every young boy is forced to have the same ridiculous hairstyle to have their bangs cut straight, known as the "Yoshino-gari" hairstyle. Of course they all get their hair done at the only barbershop in town, "Barber Yoshino". Then one day, a drastic change occurs when a transfer student with bleached hair comes from Tokyo...

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm

#76 The Crab Cannery Ship aka Kanikosen Image
- Drama, Adventure, Action (2009, Japan ) -

Aboard the Japanese crab ship 'Kanikosen' equipped with a cannery facility, workers are forced to labor under pitiful conditions at minimum wages. Some even die of cruel labor and malnutrition. And to top it off, the factory superintendent Asakawa (Hidetoshi Nishijima) is the most brutal sort who does not treat the workers as human beings.

Shinjo (Ryuhei Matsuda), one of the workers, persuades the others that they should wish to become rich in their next life as there is no future for them in the present. So all of them try to commit suicides, which ends up in a comedy of errors. SHINJO then escapes the Kanikosen and is rescued by a Soviet vessel. He is astonished by the new social system on the vessel that is so much different from the one he left behind. In realization, Shinjo returns to the ship to save the others.

Last edited by Xelume on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm

#77 Bare Essence of Life Image
- Drama (2009, Japan ) -

Yojin (Ken'ichi Matsuyama) is a quirky young man living in Aomori Prefecture, Japan. Yojin has a difficult time sitting still and can't focus on extended conversations. His life revolves around farming his grandmother's vegetable garden.

One day, Yojin experiences a new kind of feeling when he meets a pretty young lady named Machiko (Kumiko Aso). The feelings are strong enough that Yojin feels the need to be with her and gain her affection. Machiko is a nursery-school teacher from Tokyo who came to Aomori to escape from her past. Initially she doesn't know what to make of Yojin ...

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Image#78 Instant Swamp Image
- Comedy (2009, Japan ) -

After being forced to resign from her publishing company job when her magazine goes out of circulation, office worker Haname Jinchoge (Kumiko Aso) is given the name of her real father-Noburo Jinchoge when her mother (Keiko Matsuzaka) falls into a coma after nearly drowning in a pond while searching for kappa. Unsure if Noburo (Morio Kazama) is her father, Haname decides to visit him but tells him that she is a distant relative, he happens to be the shopkeeper at an odd antiquities shop called Light Bulb Co., working for her father is a punk rocker named Gas (Ryo Kase).

Haname becomes fascinated with the various oddities and charm of Light Bulb Co., and discovers that she, like her father has a knack for selling things so she decides to become a shopkeeper herself. Customers are hard to come by, but she listens to her dad's strange advice-like filling a sink full of water whilst running errands makes life exciting. One day her father offers to sell her the key to the family warehouse for 1 million yen to fund his next trip, which she excitedly agrees to without thinking. However, when she discovers a shocking fact about Light Bulb Co. she chucks the key away in disgust. Later she realizes that she's been stubborn not telling Noburo he was her dad, but by the time she runs back to meet him he's already gone. Eventually Haname with the support of Gas.... .

Last edited by Xelume on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:31 pm

#79 Welcome to Dongmakgol Image
- War, Drama (2005, South Korea ) -

Dongmakgol is a village in a remote mountain, isolated from the rest of the world and untouched by the ravages of the ongoing war in Korea. Fate brings the three fighting forces together: a U.S. fighter pilot whose plane crash-landed in the mountain, three retreating North Korean soldiers, and two South Korean soldiers who are lost. After a grenade destroys the food storage, they decide to stay and help the local farmers. In the process they slowly let go of their hatred for one another and build a sense of friendship. Meanwhile, the U.S. commanders believe there is a major North Korean military presence in the area where the plane went missing and plan a major air strike. In order to spare the village from complete destruction, the soldiers decide to work together to divert the attack, possibly sacrificing themselves in the process.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 pm

#80 The Killer Image
- Action, Crime, Drama (1989, Hong Kong ) -

An assassin becomes disillusioned with his life after accidentally blinding a singer during an assassination attempt. The assassin then takes on one last hit in hopes to earn money to restore the blinded singer's vision. But double-crosses awaits for him, while a cop is hot on the assassin's trail ...

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 pm

#81 The Legend is Born: Ip Man Image
- Martial Arts, Action, History (2010, Hong Kong ) -

"The Legend is Born - Ip Man" traces the life of Yip Man between the ages of 11 to 28.