Xelumes Asian Movie Recommendations (2.1)

Xelume
If only I was half as cute as my avatar

Xelumes Asian Movie Recommendations (2.1)

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:20 pm

The last time I tried to make a thread like this one it ended up quite bad.
Lots of things have happened since then and I've done my own database with grades and shit.
So it'll be a lot easier keep track of the better ones.
The movies I'll post here are the ones I consider very good.
A Image means it's a personal favourite.

The site I use to find the movies I watch and the ones that are in this list are..
>>> http://asiandvdclub.org <<<
they recently started to accept Blu-rays for you who want the biggies.

I'll try to have a setup with

Title, Genre, Year
Country, Synopsis
Cover + 1-2 Images
Trailer a la Youtube
(Subs if possible)

*Update*
The numbers in front of the title are just
to count the no of movies, they are
not in a particular order.

*Update 2*
2.1 Changes
* Total revamp on which movies the list
will include as I've changed how I grade
the movies normally.
* Will with a star show which ones
are my personal favourites.
Last edited by Xelume on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 am, edited 11 times in total.

Xelume

Re: Xelume's Asian Film Recommendation (2.0)

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Image#1 Taegukgi aka The Brotherhood of War Image
- War, Drama, Action (2004, South Korea ) -

"Tae Guk Gi" is a fictional story of two brothers, Jin Tae (Dong-Gun Jang) and Jin Seok (Won Bin), who are unwillingly drafted into the South Korean army following the outbreak of the Korean War in June 1950. Young Shin (Lee Eun-Ju(a)), Jin Tae's fiancé, makes their situation even more miserable by joining the communist party to get food for the rest of the family.

The stronger of the two brothers, shoeshine boy Jin Tae, makes it his life's mission to keep his weaker younger brother Jin Seok safe from any danger. The only way to do that was to win a medal of honor. Motivated by the promise of a superior officer that if he wins the medal, his brother will be sent home, Jin Tae fights fearlessly and becomes a great warrior.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Image#2 The Foreign Duck, the Native Duck and God in a Coin Locker Image
- Drama (2007, Japan) -

Shiina, a nebbish who arrives in Sendai to attend university. The locals seem unfriendly, but one day while humming Bob Dylan, Shiina meets irreverent slacker Kawasaki, who quickly and enthusiastically introduces Shiina to his oddball world. Kawasaki wants Shiina to ride shotgun with him on a bookstore robbery, the spoils being a special dictionary for their Butanese neighbor Dorje, who's heartbroken after losing his girlfriend Kotomi. Adding to the convoluted character connections, Kotomi was also Kawasaki's ex.
However, there are holes in Kawasaki's story. Local pet store owner Reiko warns Shiina not to buy into Kawasaki's tall tales, and he says the same thing about her. Shiina isn't sure who to believe, and sometimes plays dumb when talking to both sides, with neither side really fooled by his duplicity. Nobody seems to want to come clean, and Shiina's interest is further piqued when Kawasaki repeatedly drives off in the middle of the night, up to who knows what. It's ultimately up to Shiina, his naive decency, and some impromptu detective work to find out the truth.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:31 pm

#3 Breathless Image
- Independent, Drama (2009, South Korea ) -

Sang-Hun (Yang Ik-Jun) works as a low-level gangster collecting money for his longtime loan shark friend. Sang-Hun seethes with rage due to his troubled childhood and abusive father. At any moment, Sang-Hun can lash out at relatives, friends & strangers with the only way he knows how to solve problems - savage violence.

One day, Sang-Hun walks along a residential road and spits on the sidewalk. He unintentionally hits a brash young high school student named Yeon-Hee (Kim Kkot-Bi). When Yeon-Hee tells Sang-Hun to clean up his mess, he knocks her out with a punch to the face. Sang-Hun then sits across from her until she regains consciousness. He offers to buy the girl a beer and the beginnings of an unusual friendship occurs.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:33 pm

#4 Mother Image
- Crime, Drama, Thriller (2009, South Korea ) -

Hye-ja (Kim Hye Ja) is a long ago widowed mother who lives alone with her only son Do-jun (Won Bin : Autumn in my heart ). Although Do-jun is 28 years old, his mental capacity is far below someone his age and perhaps the reason for his many eccentric personality traits.

Late one night, Do-jun leaves a bar drunk and walks home. Along the way home, he follows a school girl down an alley, before a huge rock thrown his way chases him away. When he arrives home, Do-jun sleeps on the floor next to his mother like he always does.

The next day the police discover a murdered high school girl and a golf ball with Do-jun's name inscribed on it near the crime scene. With only this small bit of evidence, Do-jun is taken into custody and promptly arrested for her murder. His defense attorney looks for a quick plea bargain - which would require Do-jun to spend four years in detention - which isn't an option for Hye-ja and her only son. Faced with no other options, Hye-ja takes the initiative to prove her son's innocence.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 pm

#5 Hansel and Gretel Image
- Fantasy, Thriller, Drama (2007, South Korea ) -

A young man gets lost in the woods but finds himself in a beautiful house with three adorable children. With a warm fireplace and plenty to eat, the place seems too perfect to be true -- and impossible to exit.

Hansel and Gretel gives a harrowing twist to the classic story by the Grimm brothers. In this homegrown thriller, the abandoned children from the traditional tale become empowered with the ability to manifest their imaginations, and begin their revenge against the world.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xelume

Re: Xelume's Asian Film Recommendations (2.0)

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 pm

#6 The Divine Weapon Image
- Traditional, History, Action, Drama (2008, South Korea) -

1448, the 30th year of Sejong's reign. The Ming dynasty's meddling into Joseon's domestic affairs goes to extremes and Sejong secretly plans to develop Singijeon, a rocket weapon upgraded from Goryeo's firearms technology. The Ming finds out and quickly dispatches assassins to attack the research lab, but Choi Haesan, the man in charge of the protect the weapon's secret. His daughter Hongli Chan Eun-Jung barely escapes but loses the Chong-Tong records (Singijeon's blueprints) to the Ming assassins.

As the Ming's diplomatic pressure increases on Joseon for making the Singijeon, Sejong commands Chang-gang, the chief royal guard warrior, to take the only person with the potential to complete the Singijeon, Hong-li, safely to Sul-ju (JUNG Jae-young), a peddler. The son of the top engineer, Sul-ju is an exceedingly intelligent man with the top martial art skills in Joseon. He rejects Joseon as a descendant of Goryeo migrants and lives as the head of a merchant gang. He refuses Chang-gang's command to help construct the Singijeon...

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 pm

#7 Truck Image
- Thriller (2008, South Korea ) -

Cheol-min makes a living by working in the shipping business. He has a daughter suffering from a heart condition, and in need of surgery. To save his daughter, he urgently needs the tremendous amount of 60,000,000 won. To make this money, he gets involved in dangerous illegal gambling and barely saves his life by promising he will take care of body disposal for the gang. On his way to Gangwon-do where he intends to dump the bodies, he encounters a police van that had been in an accident, and ends up giving the police officer a ride. Although this situation is tense, events take a turn for the worse.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:46 pm

#8 Mongol Image, Image, Image, Image
- Biography, War, Drama (2007, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Russia, Germany) -

The movie is an epic story of a young Genghis Khan and how events in his early life lead him to become a legendary conqueror.

The 9-year-old Temüjin is taken on a trip by his father to select a girl as his future wife. He meets Börte, who says she would like to be chosen, which he does. He promises to return after five years to marry her. Temüjin's father is poisoned on the trip, and dies. As a boy Temüjin passes through starvation, humiliations and even slavery, but later with the help of Börte he overcomes all of his childhood hardships to become one of the greatest conquerors the world has ever known.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Image#9 Going by the Book Image
- Comedy, Crime (2007, South Korea) -

A string of bank robberies puts the public in a panic and they demand action from the newly appointed police chief to crack down on the perpetrators. In order to appease the residents of the city and carry out his own ambitions, The police chief appoints naive traffic cop JUNG Do-man to infiltrate the world of the robbers.

A low-ranking police officer who is ridiculed for his serious, conscientious nature is asked to play the role of a bank robber/hostage taker in a simulated police drill.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:49 pm

#10 Philosophy of a Knife Image
- Documentary, Horror, Drama (2008, Russia ) -

The true history of Japanese Unit 731, from its beginnings in the 1930s to its demise in 1945, and the subsequent trials in Khabarovsk, USSR, of many of the Japanese doctors from Unit 731. The facts are told, and previously unknown evidence is revealed by an eyewitness to these events, former doctor and military translator, Anatoly Protasov. Part documentary and part feature, the story is shown from the perspective of a young Japanese nurse who witnessed many of horrors, and a young Japanese officer who is torn between his sincere convictions that he is serving the greater purpose, and the deep sympathy he feels for an imprisoned Russian girl. His life is a living hell as he's compelled to carry out atrocious experiments on the other prisoners, using them as guinea pigs in this shocking tale of mankind's barbarity. "Philosophy of a Knife" is truly one of the most violent, brutal and harrowing movies ever made.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 pm

#11 Our Town Image
- Thriller, Crime, Drama (2007, South Korea) -

Kyung-ju is struggling novelist who writes violent and gory murder mysteries. When a fierce argument with his landlady ends in her death, he stages the killing so that it would appear like the serial murders that have been occurring in his village recently. Anxious that the police might realize the latest killing was a copycat murder, he begins his own inetstigation to track down the killer with help of his detective friend.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:03 pm

#12 GP506 aka The Guard Post 506 Image
- Mystery, Thriller (2007, South Korea) -

In the heavily fortified DMZ between the two Koreas, the South’s Guard Post 506 has experienced mystifying events on a cataclysmic scale. 20 soldiers are reported dead, leaving one sole survivor at GP 506.

Higher level military authorities scramble to uncover the mysteries behind these deaths and appoint Sergeant Noh, considered the best in the military, to lead the investigation. The deaths are particularly sensitive, because one of the victims is thought to be Lt. Yoo, the son of the Army’s Chief of General Staff. Making things more difficult for Sergeant Noh is that the Army has given him until 6 AM to finish his investigation.

The investigation group arrive at GP 506 under torrential rains, resulting in the investigative group becoming trapped within GP 506 themselves. They find a comatose Corporal Kang with axe in hand. A video tape is also discovered of Corporeal Kang stating his intentions to kill the entire unit at GP 506. Then, Lieutenant Yoo is found alive but severely traumatized. The minutes tick away, 6 AM is quickly approaching , while the investigation team at GP 506 uncover even more startlingly secrets.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Image#13 Thirst Image
- Horror, Romance (2009, South Korea) -

Directed by Park Chan Wook (Old Boy)

Sang-hyun is a Catholic priest who, in an act of moral desperation, volunteers for a dangerous medical experiment in Africa to combat a deadly disease. Contracting the virus, he is at the point of dying when a blood transfusion from an unknown source revives him. Returning to Korea, the symptoms of the disease linger, but he is able to stave them off by giving in to his new, insatiable desire to drink human blood. To his disgust, he realizes that he has become a vampire.

Meanwhile Tae-ju is locked in a loveless marriage to a sickly, infantile young man doted on by his obsessive mother . When the priest - a childhood friend of her husband - becomes a regular visitor to her home, Tae-ju’s previously suppressed desires and frustrations rush to the fore. Sang-hyun, locked in his own inner battle between conscience and worldly lust, submits to her advances.

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xelume

Post by Xelume » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:19 pm

#14 The Chaser Image
- Thriller, Action, Crime (2008, South Korea ) -

Ex-detective Jung-ho is the owner of a massage house, but his girls keep disappearing, which caused him a headache. One night, he received a call from a customer and sent Mi-jin to provide service to that customer. After then, he found out the phone number of the customer matched the last number that called the missing girls before. As something smells fishy, he went to search for Mi-jin. During the search, Jung-ho met a guy named Young-min. With the blood splattered on his shirt, Jung-ho sensed Young-min to be the murderer. Surprisingly, Young-min bluntly admitted that he killed all the missing girls. Despite the confession, there’s no any evidence to imprison him. The police force is obsessed in searching for evidence; they ignore Mi-jin’s safety, and Jung-ho is the one who believes Mi-jin is still alive. With only 12 hours left to detain the serial killer without a warrant, Jung-ho’s hunt begins, searching for Mi-jin who entrapped in an unknown place…

Last edited by Xelume on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.